Why is the “free climb” of the Dawn Wall on El Capitan called the hardest climb ever? And what exactly does “free climb” even mean? Watch the video above to find out more about this nearly impossible feat that two men, only using safety ropes to prevent falls, appear poised to complete this week.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction