It’s easy to think of Harry Potter’s best (and arguably smartest) friend Hermione solely as Emma Watson, the actress who played her in the movies. But the publishers of J.K. Rowling’s beloved young wizard series decided to give Ms. Granger and company a completely new look. And on Tuesday, a few more re-designs came on display for the first time.
Bloomsbury UK and Scholastic in the U.S. have released new images from the first fully illustrated edition of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, which will be hit shelves on October 6. The new edition will be a hardcover with illustrated endpapers and illustrations by Jim Kay throughout.
J.K. Rowling met with Kay and had approval during the process, according to Bloomsbury UK publicity. “She’s definitely seen the majority of the illustrations,” a spokesperson for the publisher says. In addition to the new release of what Hagrid, Hermione, Malfoy and Ron will look like in the book, images of The Boy Who Lived himself and Hogwarts were released in December. See what they look like below.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating