Cristiano Ronaldo has won the FIFA Ballon d’Or, an award that goes to the player with the best performance that year, for the second time in a row.
It’s the third time total that the Portuguese player has won the award. “I would like to continue the work that I have done so far. I want to try to improve, to become better as each day goes by. I never thought that I would bring this trophy back home on three occasions. I want to become one of the greatest players of all time,” Ronaldo said in his acceptance speech.
This year, Ronaldo’s team Real Madrid won the Club World Cup, and Ronaldo was given a rather, ahem, attention-grabbing statue in his hometown of Funchal, Madeira Island.
Ronaldo accepting the award in 2014:
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time