As the Hollywood elite flashed “Je Suis Charlie” insignia on their tuxedos and ball gowns during the Golden Globes on Sunday night, Fox’s The Simpson’s also paid tribute to the French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo, the site of last week’s deadly terrorist attack in Paris.
Before the final commercial break of “Bart’s Best Friend,” an episode Judd Apatow wrote 24 years ago that didn’t air until Sunday, a silent animation flashed of Maggie standing in front of a red, white, and blue background while holding a tattered flag that reads “Je Suis Charlie.”
The image replicates French artist Eugène Delacroix‘s Liberty Leading the People.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time