The Hollywood Foreign Press Association has a history of honoring fresh, new talent during the Golden Globes, so it’s not a total surprise that star of one of television’s most promising new shows, Jane the Virgin’s Gina Rodriguez, won the award for Best Actress, Musical or Comedy.
But in a competitive category going up against Edie Falco and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Rodriguez wasn’t a shoe-in — which makes her emotional acceptance speech all the more endearing.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart