The Hollywood Foreign Press Association has a history of honoring fresh, new talent during the Golden Globes, so it’s not a total surprise that star of one of television’s most promising new shows, Jane the Virgin’s Gina Rodriguez, won the award for Best Actress, Musical or Comedy.
But in a competitive category going up against Edie Falco and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Rodriguez wasn’t a shoe-in — which makes her emotional acceptance speech all the more endearing.
READ: TIME’s profile of Gina Rodriguez from last fall.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction