Better Call Saul creators Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould spilled the beans Saturday about which beloved Breaking Bad characters might appear in the spin-off show’s initial outing. Spoiler alert: Walt and Jesse are not on the docket for Season 1, but the creators say that all characters have the potential to return.
“In the spirit of full disclosure, Walt and Jesse will not appear in season 1,” Gould said at the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena. “Having said that, everything else is on the table.”
“The short answer is: The sky is the limit and any of these characters could conceivably show up in future seasons,” Gilligan added. “But the intention is it will feel proper and organic, because if it feels like a stunt then something has gone terribly wrong in the writers’ room. Jesse will be tricky, because he’s so young [during the timeline of the prequel]. To be completely honest, I want to see them all eventually. There’s a constant tension of, ‘Man, this would be fun to do, but would it just be a stunt?’”
Better Call Saul debuts Sunday, Feb 8 at 10pm on AMC.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Charlotte Alter at firstname.lastname@example.org