George Zimmerman was arrested Friday night for alleged aggravated assault with a weapon in a domestic violence case.
Zimmerman, who in 2013 was acquitted for the 2012 shooting death of unarmed black teen Trayvon Martin, is being held without bond, according to the Seminole County Sheriff’s website.
Zimmerman has had a number of domestic violence incidences since his acquittal for Martin’s death. In September of 2013, his then-wife, Shellie Zimmerman, called 911 and told police he was threatening her with a gun, but later opted not to press charges. In November of the same year, his girlfriend, Samantha Scheibe, requested Zimmerman not be charged with domestic violence after she told police he pointed a gun at her. Scheibe said investigators had misinterpreted her statements.
Zimmerman was due in court Saturday morning at 9 a.m. ET.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow