George Zimmerman was arrested Friday night for alleged aggravated assault with a weapon in a domestic violence case.
Zimmerman, who in 2013 was acquitted for the 2012 shooting death of unarmed black teen Trayvon Martin, is being held without bond, according to the Seminole County Sheriff’s website.
Zimmerman has had a number of domestic violence incidences since his acquittal for Martin’s death. In September of 2013, his then-wife, Shellie Zimmerman, called 911 and told police he was threatening her with a gun, but later opted not to press charges. In November of the same year, his girlfriend, Samantha Scheibe, requested Zimmerman not be charged with domestic violence after she told police he pointed a gun at her. Scheibe said investigators had misinterpreted her statements.
Zimmerman was due in court Saturday morning at 9 a.m. ET.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer