Wicked might finally be on its way to defying gravity on the big screen. Stephen Daldry, the director of Billy Elliot on film and stage, is attached to the project, producer Marc Platt recently revealed in an interview with Film Divider. Platt, who produced the show on Broadway, said the team is aiming for a 2016 release date.
“He’s been on for a year or two,” Platt said of Daldry. “But it’s in process. 2016 is the goal, but I don’t know whether we’ll make that goal or not. We will make the movie, but like I said, the bar is really high.” Platt added: “It’s in the works, it’s not in a rush.”
Platt also told Film Divider that Winnie Holzman, who wrote the book for the Broadway show, is working on the screenplay. Holzman is probably best known as the creator of My So-Called Life. Platt, meanwhile, is also a producer on Disney’s Into the Woods film.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time