Wicked might finally be on its way to defying gravity on the big screen. Stephen Daldry, the director of Billy Elliot on film and stage, is attached to the project, producer Marc Platt recently revealed in an interview with Film Divider. Platt, who produced the show on Broadway, said the team is aiming for a 2016 release date.
“He’s been on for a year or two,” Platt said of Daldry. “But it’s in process. 2016 is the goal, but I don’t know whether we’ll make that goal or not. We will make the movie, but like I said, the bar is really high.” Platt added: “It’s in the works, it’s not in a rush.”
Platt also told Film Divider that Winnie Holzman, who wrote the book for the Broadway show, is working on the screenplay. Holzman is probably best known as the creator of My So-Called Life. Platt, meanwhile, is also a producer on Disney’s Into the Woods film.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This