General Motors CEO Mary Barra speaks onstage during The New York Times DealBook Conference at One World Trade Center on Dec. 11, 2014 in New York City.
Thos Robinson — Getty Images
January 8, 2015 11:11 PM EST

Battled hardened General Motors chief executive Mary Barra pledged on Thursday to move past last year’s recall fiasco, which saw millions of small cars with defective ignition switches recalled.

“It was clearly a tragedy, and it was deeply troubling,” Barra told reporters this week as she unveiled new plans for 2015, according to the New York Times.

Barra says the company aims to expand its sales in the U.S. and China this year and is sharpening its sights on European markets.

“We have many launches this year, and we are going into them to win, not just to compete,” she said.

Read more at NYT

More Must-Read Stories From TIME

Contact us at letters@time.com.

Read More From TIME
You May Also Like
EDIT POST