It’s easy to spot a seasoned business traveler going through airport security: there’s no fumbling for baggie-enclosed liquids, laptops are smartly stored for quick accessibility, shoes are slipped off with haste, and most telling of all is their covetable carry-on suitcase. When heading out for a work-related trip, it’s important to have a piece of luggage that not only matches a two-piece suit, but can also store it—with a computer and overnight necessities to boot.
But, with new carry-on size limitations being enforced by Delta, American, and United Airlines, even the most frequent of fliers can be caught off guard at the gate (and possibly sent back to the check-in counter). For those traveling on the aforementioned airlines, pieces being stowed in the overhead compartment must be 22″ x 14″ x 9″ or less. Here, our recommendations for functional suitcases that are just the right size.
More from Travel + Leisure:
- Best Places to See the Northern Lights
- Best Places to Travel in 2015
- Most Important Travel Trends of 2015
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time