NC-17 or R? That’s been the discussion surrounding Fifty Shades of Grey since the moment they decided to adapt E.L. James’ bestselling series into a movie. And now, the MPAA has made up its mind: The film will be rated R.
According to Variety, the MPAA designated the R rating based on “strong sexual content including dialogue, some unusual behavior and graphic nudity.” There was no mention of Christian Grey’s overwhelming sex appeal, though that was probably meant to be implied.
Fifty Shades of Grey arrives in theaters Feb. 13.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now