Mixed Martial Arts sensation Jon Jones has reportedly entered a drug rehabilitation center after testing positive for cocaine just days after successfully defending his UFC light heavyweight title in Las Vegas.
“Jones has checked himself into a rehab center,” Bob Bennet, executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, told ESPN on Tuesday. “And at this time, I would direct any further questions regarding his situation to Mr. Jones or the UFC.”
Traces of benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine, were found in a pre-fight urine test taken by the champ. However, in accordance with World Anti-Doping Agency regulations, Jones’s win on Jan. 3 over Daniel Cormier at UFC 182 will stand, as the fighter was not on the substance during competition.
UFC President Dana White said the organization supported Jones’s decision to seek professional help.
“I am proud of Jon Jones for making the decision to enter a drug treatment facility,” said White in a statement. “I’m confident that he’ll emerge from this program like the champion he truly is.”
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now