- Self-discipline is a better predictor of success than IQ.
- Happiness translates into success and happier people are more successful. Just don’t be too happy.
- Gay men have 12 percent lower personal incomes and lesbians have 15 percent higher personal incomes than heterosexual men and women.
- Nice guys make less money, rude people have higher credit scores and being ethical can hurt your income.
- Taller people make more money and it’s because they’re smarter. Thin women make more money. Weight has a positive effect on men’s salary until they’re obese.
- Beautiful people are more successful and it’s largely because they’re more confident. Beautiful people are likely to be happier, earn more money, get a bank loan with a lower interest rate and marry a good-looking and highly educated spouse. Hot college professors make more and your house will sell for more money if your real estate agent is attractive.
- What if you’re not so beautiful? Well groomed people earn more too.
- Married men make more than single men. This is even true for professional baseball players. It isn’t true for gay men, however.
- The best prostitutes make less money than average ones. Sexist men bring home bigger checks.
- People with easy to pronounce names and wives who don’t take their husband’s name have higher incomes.
- Self-esteem, personality and the season of your birth are all relevant factors as well.
This piece originally appeared on Barking Up the Wrong Tree.
Join over 151,000 readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
6 Hostage Negotiation Techniques That Will Get You What You Want
How To Get People To Like You: 7 Ways From An FBI Behavior Expert
How To Stop Being Lazy And Get More Done – 5 Expert Tips
Read next: Will This Be America’s Next Economic Crisis?
Listen to the most important stories of the day.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief