1) Researchers have established some general conclusions about pets and their owners personalities:
- Fish owners are happiest.
- Dog owners are the most fun to be with.
- Cat owners are the most dependable and emotionally sensitive.
- Reptile owners are the most independent.
2) Yes, there are differences between cat people and dog people:
- Dog people were generally about 15 percent more extraverted, 13 percent more agreeable and 11 percent more conscientious than cat people.
- Cat people were generally about 12 percent more neurotic and 11 percent more open than dog people.
3) According to research by Richard Wiseman, people often see their pets’ personality as a reflection of their own.
So, more often than not, a quick way to find out what someone is like it to ask them to describe their animal friend’s temperament.
4) You can tell a liberal from a conservative by the breed of dog they own.
Via The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion:
5) That guy with the pit bull might be just as scary as his dog:
6) Dog owners are healthier.
Via 59 Seconds: Change Your Life in Under a Minute:
Dogs provided more health benefits than a cat — or a spouse for that matter. Further research showed that at least some of these effects were causal, not correlative.
You don’t even need to own a dog to get some of the stress-relieving benefits: watching a video of a cute animal can reduce heart rate and blood pressure in under a minute. Stuffed animals can improve your immune system.
7) Researchers know the type of person who doesn’t clean up after their dog:
8) A few other fun facts about pets:
- Your cat may be manipulating you with mind control powers.
- People buy healthier food for their dogs than for themselves.
- Scientists have (nearly) turned wild foxes into puppy dogs.
This piece originally appeared on Barking Up the Wrong Tree.
Join over 151,000 readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
6 Hostage Negotiation Techniques That Will Get You What You Want
How To Get People To Like You: 7 Ways From An FBI Behavior Expert
How To Stop Being Lazy And Get More Done – 5 Expert Tips
Read next: How to Read People Like Sherlock Holmes: 4 Insights From Research
Listen to the most important stories of the day.
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- The End of Succession
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction