1) Researchers have established some general conclusions about pets and their owners personalities:
- Fish owners are happiest.
- Dog owners are the most fun to be with.
- Cat owners are the most dependable and emotionally sensitive.
- Reptile owners are the most independent.
2) Yes, there are differences between cat people and dog people:
- Dog people were generally about 15 percent more extraverted, 13 percent more agreeable and 11 percent more conscientious than cat people.
- Cat people were generally about 12 percent more neurotic and 11 percent more open than dog people.
So, more often than not, a quick way to find out what someone is like it to ask them to describe their animal friend’s temperament.
4) You can tell a liberal from a conservative by the breed of dog they own.
5) That guy with the pit bull might be just as scary as his dog:
6) Dog owners are healthier.
Dogs provided more health benefits than a cat — or a spouse for that matter. Further research showed that at least some of these effects were causal, not correlative.
You don’t even need to own a dog to get some of the stress-relieving benefits: watching a video of a cute animal can reduce heart rate and blood pressure in under a minute. Stuffed animals can improve your immune system.
7) Researchers know the type of person who doesn’t clean up after their dog:
8) A few other fun facts about pets:
- Your cat may be manipulating you with mind control powers.
- People buy healthier food for their dogs than for themselves.
- Scientists have (nearly) turned wild foxes into puppy dogs.
This piece originally appeared on Barking Up the Wrong Tree.
Join over 151,000 readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World