Sen. Harry Reid has been badly injured while exercising at home.
According to a statement from the Nevada Democrat’s office, Reid was using a piece of equipment to exercise at his home in Henderson, Nev., Thursday. The equipment broke, causing him to fall and “break a number of ribs and bones in his face.”
He was taken to University Medical Center in Las Vegas and is expected to make a full recovery. Reid expects to be back at work on Tuesday to prepare for the new session, but he’ll probably look a bit beat up — an unfortunately apt visual metaphor for the kind of year he was already going to have.
When the new Congress is sworn in, the Nevada Democrat will get demoted from Senate majority leader to minority leader. He’s been feuding with President Obama, and he’ll need to start gearing up to run for re-election next year.
Reid’s office later said he was discharged from the hospital Friday afternoon and headed home.
“He spent the day with his wife, Landra, talking to fellow senators, friends and staff and preparing for the Senate’s return. He sends his thanks to all those who sent warm wishes and is ready to get back to work,” a statement said.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears