Edward Herrmann, the actor best known for playing Lorelai Gilmore’s father Richard on the TV show Gilmore Girls, died Wednesday.
He was 71 and his death in a New York hospital was confirmed by his manager Robbie Kass. He had been fighting brain cancer.
“Edward Herrmann, besides being an accomplished actor, was also a true gentleman and a scholar, as well as being an incredibly kind and decent man,” Kass said. “He will be sorely missed.”
Herrmann’s death will be mourned not only by original Gilmore Girls lovers but also a new generation of fans who have discovered the show since it came to Netflix in October. Herrmann won an Emmy for his role in The Practice and recently appeared in several episodes of The Good Wife.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve