Lindsay Lohan says she has contracted the chikungunya virus while on vacation in French Polynesia.
The celeb first tweeted a photo of herself on Dec. 27 jet skiing, noting that the picture was taken “before I got chikungya.” She posted another picture to her Instagram on Dec. 28:
“In good faith with good people. I refuse to let a virus effect my peaceful vacation. be safe and happy on the new year all #wildfox and a positive, healthy new year,” she wrote in the photo’s caption.
Chikungunya, which is often compared to dengue fever, is transmitted through mosquito bites, and its symptoms include fever, fatigue, rash and debilitating joint pain. There is no cure, and the pain can last for months.
Though scientists have known about chikungunya for decades, it has suddenly spread rapidly in the last year from Africa to the Caribbean, Central and South America and the U.S. More than one million people contracted the virus in 2014.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now