Anthony Quintano has the kind of access to the iconic Times Square New Year’s Eve ball shared by only a few.
Quintano is the on-site assistant to the camera operator who shoots the close-up shot of the famous ball drop. The shot is fed live to networks broadcasting Times Square coverage.
Aside from the broadcast camera, Quintano also mounts recording devices of his own. A few days before New Year’s Eve, he climbed to the top of the pole and rigged up a GoPro 3+, Canon 5D Mark II, and an iPhone 6 Plus. He then combined the footage to create a breathtaking view of the ball as it dropped.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve