Former U.S. President George H.W. Bush was brought by ambulance to a hospital in Houston on Tuesday night, a precautionary measure after experiencing shortness of breath, his office said in a statement.
The 41st President ”will be held for observation, again as a precaution” at Houston Methodist Hospital, the statement said.
The White House said in a separate statement that President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama have been made aware of Bush’s hospitalization. The two “send their good wishes to the former President and the entire Bush family during this holiday season,” read the statement.
Bush, who is 90-years-old, recently celebrated his ninth decade by skydiving under a red, white and blue parachute.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Elizabeth Barber at firstname.lastname@example.org