A Canadian jury sentenced a 32-year old former porn actor to life in prison Tuesday for a grisly murder that shocked the nation.
Luka Magnotta was convicted of killing and dismembering his Chinese lover, Jun Lin, 33, and shipping his body parts to Canadian schools and political organizations. He even detailed his plan to a British reporter six months before the crime, according to the Associated Press.
Magnotta’s lawyer, Luc Leclair, argued that his client has schizophrenia and was unable to comprehend the immorality of his actions. Speaking on Magnotta’s behalf, Leclair recognized that the life-sentence was to be expected.
“[Magnotta] accepts the verdict,” he said. “For quite some time now he has been preparing for the verdict with his father, some friends and his therapist. He has been focusing on rebuilding his life.”
In May 2012, Jun Lin’s severed foot arrived at Canada’s Conservative Party headquarters; the Liberal Party received his hand. His torso was later found in a dumpster outside of Magnotta’s apartment complex, and a week later his other foot and hand turned up at two schools in Vancouver.
Jun Lin was a Chinese national who is said to have fallen in love with Montreal and had been living in the city since 2011.
Magnotta will be eligible for parole after 25 years.
- Column: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive