Hundreds of Spaniards found themselves thousands of dollars richer on Monday after the winning numbers in the country’s annual Christmas lottery were announced.
In one Madrid neighborhood, more than 100 winning tickets were sold, divvying up the $3 billion jackpot of the “El Gordo” lottery among a the lucky people, the Associated Press reports. At least 10 people won the lottery’s top prize, landing each a 400,000-euro bonus for the New Year, BBC reports.
Given the higher chances of winning “El Gordo” prizes, people across the country participate in the decades-old Christmas giveaway. And given the economic hardship facing Spain, where the employment rate stands at 24%, the winnings are a welcome financial boost.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time