This weekend, The Hobbit, Battle of the Five Armies won the arguably more important battle for the box office, bringing in $56.2 million.
However, it did not do as well in its opening weekend as the previous two Hobbit movies. The first and second films in the trilogy made $84.6 million and $73.6 million respectively in their opening weekends.
Night at the Museum 3 and Annie also opened this weekend, taking second and third place at the box office. The second Night at the Museum sequel raked in $17.3 million, while Annie made $16.3 million.
Into the Woods, Unbroken, and The Gambler will all be competing at the multiplex over the Christmas holiday. The films are expected to dislodge Exodus: Gods and Kings and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 from the box office top five next weekend.
- How the Anti-Vax Movement Is Taking Over the Right
- What Happens Next in Ukraine Could Change Europe Forever
- There's So Much More To Say About Bill Cosby
- Death Doulas Used to Be Rare. The COVID-19 Pandemic Changed That
- What It Feels Like to Be a Muslim Woman Auctioned Online by India's Right Wing
- America's First Openly Trans City Council President Wants to Heal Minneapolis
- The World's Farmers Need to Prepare for Serious Cash Crop Disruption