J.K. Rowling says that there is at least one Jewish wizard in the Harry Potter universe: Anthony Goldstein.
In a Twitter question-and-answer session on Tuesday, one man, Ben Roffman, tweeted that his wife had teasingly told him there were no Jews at Hogwarts, meaning that she was the only one qualified to be “magical” in the family.
Rowling had some words for this Muggle wife: “Anthony Goldstein, Ravenclaw, Jewish wizard.”
The Harry Potter Wiki says that Goldstein was Harry Potter’s classmate and fought with him in Dumbledore’s Army. He was also in good company in a potpourri of religious backgrounds and affiliations represented in the wizardry school. Rowling went on to say in the Twitter exchange that the only people she “never imagined there are Wiccans.”
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space