In the Unlikely Event, due out in June next year, takes place in Elizabeth, New Jersey — where Blume grew up — during a series of non-fictional plane crashes that took place between 1951 and 1952.
“These events have lingered in my mind ever since,” Blume said in a statement. “It was a crazy time. We were witnessing things that were incomprehensible to us as teenagers.”
Blume, who wrote classics including Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret and Blubber, last wrote the adult novel Summer Sisters 16 years ago.
Read more at People
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now