Three people were arrested in Belgium on Monday after men burst into an apartment building and took a hostage in the western city of Ghent, authorities said.
The siege began early Monday and several hours later armed police entered the apartment, BBC reports. Federal police established a careful security cordon to keep bystanders away and three suspects gave themselves up without violence. The hostage was reportedly released unharmed.
“This isn’t the same sort of incident as the events in Sydney,” said federal police spokeswoman Annemie Serlippens.
It was unclear whether the police were still searching for more suspects.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time