Sony Pictures has confirmed that there will be no Japan release for The Interview.
The movie’s plot involves characters played by Seth Rogen and James Franco who try to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. A spokesperson for Sony Pictures told Variety that the decision was made before last week’s massive hack of Sony’s computer system.
According to The Interview’s website, it will only be released in Australia and New Zealand within the Asia-Pacific region.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now