Prince William visited the White House for the first time Monday during the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s first official trip to the USA.
The Duke of Cambridge travelled to Washington to briefly meet with the President before speaking at the 3rd Biennial Meeting of the International Corruption Hunters Alliance, hosted by the World Bank. As the President of United for Wildlife, the Duke is expected to speak about the illegal animal trade in wildlife parks.
Prince William joked with the President that in all the fuss surrounding the 2013 birth of his son, George, “I didn’t work out whether it was a boy or a girl.” “You forgot to ask?” the President joked, according to The Telegraph. Prince George did not make an appearance this trip.
Kate Middleton did not accompany her husband to Washington D.C., and instead stayed in New York to visit Harlem’s Northside Center for Child Development with NYC First Lady Chirlane McCray. The Duchess, who is five months pregnant with the couple’s second child, wore a Goat branded coat to meet McCray. The pair spent the morning wrapping Christmas gifts with the children.
Correction: The original version of this story misstated the circumstances of Prince William’s meeting with President Barack Obama. It was Prince William’s first time at the White House.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Why It’s OK to Say No to That Party You’re Dreading
- COP28 Is a Business Bonanza. Should It Be?
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- Column: When India Was a Human Rights Leader
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time