Samsung’s virtual reality headset, the Gear VR Innovator Edition, popped up on the company’s online store Monday for $199.99.
The Gear VR is a mobile virtual reality unit — it uses a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 as its screen, which isn’t included in the headset’s price. It advertises a full 360-degree virtual reality experience and is powered by software from Oculus VR, the virtual reality company behind the Oculus Rift. Oculus and Samsung’s virtual reality efforts have long been intertwined, with Oculus using Samsung panels for its own VR headsets.
It’s important to note that the Gear VR Innovator Edition is aptly named: While anybody can go ahead and buy Samsung’s new headset, it’s aimed at early adopters moreso than the general public. Still, initial reactions to the Gear VR have been positive, so if you’re itching for an affordable virtual reality fix (assuming you’ve already got the Note 4) it may be a good buy.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time