The mother of an American teacher killed in Abu Dhabi has not been told the truth about her daughter’s death, a relative said Friday. Ibolya Ryan’s mother, who lives in Romania, was told she died in a car crash to spare her the gruesome details of Monday’s mall stabbing, sister-in-law Irina Balazsi told NBC News. Balazsi said Ryan’s brother, who is ill, was not even told she is dead. “We are in shock,” Balazsi said.
Ryan, 47, was born in Romania but was a United States citizen. She had taught in three other countries over the last 15 years before going to the United Arab Emirates with her 11-year-old sons in September 2013…
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time