By Justin Worland
Updated: December 2, 2014 9:40 AM ET

Ray Rice apologized for hitting his wife Tuesday, saying that the pair had “one bad night,” and asked for a “second chance” at his NFL career in an interview on NBC’s Today.

“I made a horrendous mistake not apologizing to my wife,” Rice said of a press conference held after a video emerged of him dragging his unconscious then-fiance, now-wife Janay from an elevator. “I take full responsibility for my actions.”

The disgraced former Baltimore Ravens star told interviewer Matt Lauer he would remain committed to his family, even if no team will sign him. “If I never play football again, I’ll be honest with you, I would adapt into life and I would sacrifice more so she can have a better future,” he said, referring to his wife Janay.

Rice also said that while the couple had argued in the past, no other incident had escalated that far.

Rice had been banned from playing in the NFL after footage of him hitting his wife caused a national uproar, but the punishment was overturned last week. Janay Rice has maintained steadfast support for her husband since the assault came to light.

Write to Justin Worland at justin.worland@time.com.

SPONSORED FINANCIAL CONTENT

Read More From TIME

EDIT POST