Brazilian soccer star Pelé says he is “doing fine” after he was transferred to a special care unit on Thursday for monitoring after being treated for a urinary infection.
Earlier reports indicated the three-time World Cup winner had been admitted to intensive care, but Pelé reassured fans that his condition was not serious.
“I want to take this opportunity to let you know that I am doing fine,” the 74-year-old tweeted.
The Albert Einstein hospital in São Paulo, Brazil’s largest city, said in a statement Thursday that Pelé was transferred after suffering “clinical instability,” reports the BBC.
Pelé was admitted to the hospital on Monday and diagnosed with a urinary infection. According to local media, the infection could have stemmed from a procedure to remove kidney stones, for which he was treated on Nov. 13.
- From Jan. 6 to Tyre Nichols, American Life Is Still Defined by Caste
- As People Return to Offices, It’s Back to Miserable for America’s Working Moms
- The Real Reason Florida Wants to Ban AP African-American Studies, According to an Architect of the Course
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year