Correction appended: Nov. 27, 2014, 2:25 a.m. E.T.
Uruguayan President José Mujica was talking to journalists in the capital Montevideo on Tuesday night when a homeless man asked him for some change.
“Give me a coin of yours, Pepe,” the man said.
“Look, brother,” replied the President, “I don’t have a coin but don’t cry!”
Mujica then handed the man a 100 peso bill.
The man shouted, “I want you to be President forever!” to which Mujica replied, “No, no … You’re crazy!”
The footage aired on Uruguay’s Teledoce TV channel.
Correction: The original version of this story misstated that President José Mujica gave a homeless man a $100 bill. He gave the man a 100 peso bill.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow