Correction appended: Nov. 27, 2014, 2:25 a.m. E.T.
Uruguayan President José Mujica was talking to journalists in the capital Montevideo on Tuesday night when a homeless man asked him for some change.
“Give me a coin of yours, Pepe,” the man said.
“Look, brother,” replied the President, “I don’t have a coin but don’t cry!”
Mujica then handed the man a 100 peso bill.
The man shouted, “I want you to be President forever!” to which Mujica replied, “No, no … You’re crazy!”
The footage aired on Uruguay’s Teledoce TV channel.
Correction: The original version of this story misstated that President José Mujica gave a homeless man a $100 bill. He gave the man a 100 peso bill.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears