Correction appended: Nov. 27, 2014, 2:25 a.m. E.T.
Uruguayan President José Mujica was talking to journalists in the capital Montevideo on Tuesday night when a homeless man asked him for some change.
“Give me a coin of yours, Pepe,” the man said.
“Look, brother,” replied the President, “I don’t have a coin but don’t cry!”
Mujica then handed the man a 100 peso bill.
The man shouted, “I want you to be President forever!” to which Mujica replied, “No, no … You’re crazy!”
The footage aired on Uruguay’s Teledoce TV channel.
Correction: The original version of this story misstated that President José Mujica gave a homeless man a $100 bill. He gave the man a 100 peso bill.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State