Put a small amount of conscious effort into trying to be a better friend, spouse, whatever.
Sounds ridiculous but research shows:
- Improving any relationship is as easy as actively showing interest in the other person or sharing with them.
- Pretending time with a romantic partner was a first date makes it more enjoyable for you and for your partner. Why? On first dates we make an effort to impress.
- Racists actually make a better first impression on minorities than non-racists do. Why? Because they have to try to not act racist and the effort makes them come off better than someone who doesn’t have to try.
- Worried that all this is fake and contrived? Relax. Putting your best face forward actually reveals your true self.
This piece originally appeared on Barking Up the Wrong Tree.
Join over 135,000 readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time