Canadian duo Tegan and Sara cracked Top 40 last year with the buoyant dance-pop single “Closer,” but it was a decade ago that the band made perhaps its most important breakthrough. Their fourth studio album, So Jealous, saw them impact U.S. radio (thanks to “Walking With a Ghost”), get covered by the White Stripes (hear their take on that very song) and tour with bands such as the Killers. Artistically, So Jealous was also when the respective songwriting styles of Tegan and Sara started to take shape — Tegan’s urgent power-pop leanings, Sara’s darker and more introspective material.
To celebrate the 10th anniversary of So Jealous, the band is re-releasing a deluxe edition of the album on Dec. 23 (just in time for Christmas). So Jealous X includes a hardcover book of never-before-seen photos and reflections as well as a bonus disc of remixes, covers and previously unreleased demos.
“When I Get Up” is one of those demos, although it’s a song hardcore Tegan and Sara fans will recognize — the band played it live for years. It never made final cut for the record, but now, Tegan’s sparse, home-recorded track is premiering exclusively on TIME ahead of its inclusion on So Jealous X. As demos tend to be, it’s a little rough around the edges — but there’s a warmth and rawness that make the song about life on the road all the more vulnerable.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time