A physical education teacher in Stockton, California is facing charges after a video surfaced of him allegedly trying to force a 14-year-old girl into a pool during gym class.
Denny Peterson, who has been employed in the local school district for more than 10 years, is seen in a video attempting to pull the girl into the pool at Edison High School in an incident that occurred in August, USA Today reports. The 95-second video was captured by another student.
The girl was reportedly avoiding the pool because she had gotten her hair done that morning for an event later in the day.
Peterson is facing a charge of corporal injury to a child. “Regardless of her participation (in the class), it should disgust you how this man put his hands on a 14-year-old girl. She said multiple times, ‘My top is falling down,'” said Gilbert Somera, a Stockton attorney representing the girl and her family.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time