Comedian Sarah Silverman came under fire Wednesday night after she tweeted a joke about being raped by Bill Cosby, leading her rewrite the joke in a tamer tweet she posted an hour later.
She initially tweeted:
The tweet elicited scores of angry responses.
An hour later, Silverman said she wanted to “edit” her joke, though she did not delete the original from Twitter.
These Twitter exchanges come amid a growing scandal of sexual assault allegations against Cosby.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement