Honduras beauty-pageant contestant María José Alvarado, 19, and her sister Sofía, 23, were found murdered and buried in western Honduras on Wednesday.
María José was supposed to participate in the Miss World competition in London this week. The sisters went missing about a week ago and were last seen leaving a party and getting into an unlicensed car in Santa Barbara, Honduras — an area known for drug-gang activity, Reuters reports.
Interior Minister Arturo Corrales told media that Sofía’s boyfriend Plutarco Ruiz was responsible, Reuters reports. Ruiz was arrested with another man on Tuesday.
“We are devastated by this terrible loss of two young women, who were so full of life. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of María José Alvarado & Sofía Trinidad at this time of grief,” said Julia Morley, Chairman Miss World Organization in a statement.
In 2013, Honduras was named the world’s murder capital.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time