Disney doesn’t exactly have a reputation for making forward-thinking, feminist movies, although some would argue they’re making strides to correct that. And The Little Mermaid, which turns 25 this week, has inspired arguments on both sides of the debate (it’s feminist because Ariel is Eric’s savior, it’s anti-feminist because it praises young, beautiful women while vilifying old, ugly women). This new “honest trailer” lands squarely on the anti-feminist side, taking the movie to task not only for its prioritization of vanity, but also for being “whimsically fascist” and bastardizing the very notion of love.
Renaming the film “The Little Waistline,” the parody joins dozens of others by Screen Junkies meant to “tell you the truth about your favorite movies and TV shows.” They’re more likely to make you laugh, but they just might make you reconsider exactly what it is you’re nostalgic for.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Eliza Berman at email@example.com