Disney is revisiting the classic fairy tale of Cinderella, this time as a live-action film.
Though the studio found a box-office hit this summer by turning an old film, Sleeping Beauty, on its head in Maleficent, Cinderella won’t follow the same model. Based on the first trailer, the movie looks an awful lot like the cartoon version Disney made in 1950.
The movie’s potential lies in its all-star cast. Downton Abbey’s Lily James plays kind-hearted ingenue Cinderella. Cate Blanchett exudes evil as the wicked stepmother. And—in a change of pace for the usually grim actress—Helena Bonham Carter will play Cinderella’s fairy godmother. The filmmakers have even resurrected Game of Thrones’ Robb Stark (Richard Madden) to play the prince.
Cinderella hits theaters March 13.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time