Saturday Night Live cast member Cecily Strong will perform at the annual White House Correspondents’ Association dinner next year, the association said Wednesday.
Strong has been co-anchor of the faux news segment Weekend Update on the show. She was raised in suburban Oak Park, Ill., outside Chicago, and began in the Windy City’s comedy scene.
“Her political humor is sly and edgy, and it comes with a Chicago accent,” WHCA president Christi Parsons said in an email to reporters. “In the 82-year history of our dinner, she’ll be the fourth woman to serve in this role.”
President Barack Obama is also expected to tell jokes at the April 25 dinner, as he has in past years. The annual event, known in some Washington circles as “nerd prom,” brings together journalists and government and political officials for a night of revelry at the White House.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time