Apple Watch‘s software development kit (SDK), which gives developers tools to design apps for the smartwatch before its release next year, is now available.
The iOS 8.2 SDK beta includes a set of Apple Watch-specific tools called WatchKit, which allow programmers to work with actionable notifications and Glances, a feature that gives watch-wearers important snippets of information, Apple said Tuesday in a press release.
SDKs are popular for Apple software and around the tech world, partly because they give developers a head start working with the latest software in anticipation of a device’s official release. Apple said that developers will be able to create fully native Apple Watch apps starting later next year.
The new SDK is available for download on Apple’s developer site.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve