The opening lyrics to Azealia Banks’ single “Chasing Time,” off her weeks-old album Broke With Expensive Taste, practically beg for a remix. “I want somebody who can take it apart,” she sings. “Stitch me back together, make me into who I wanna be.” It’s fitting, then, that the Harlem rapper-slash-singer is promoting her new album with a remix contest, offering $10,000 to the fan, producer, or dabbler whose version of “Chasing Time” she deems most worthy.
In conjunction with MTV, SoundCloud, and BitTorrent, Banks has made the song available to download for free. Users can then upload their remixed tracks to a Remix Lab on SoundCloud. The page already has a couple dozen remixes uploaded, some stripped down and others primed for the club. The range of sounds stemming from the same original canvas is already quite varied, and contestants will have to show a high level of originality to stand out from what will undoubtedly be a large field of entries.
The contest runs until Dec. 15, after which Banks will judge the entries herself and declare a winner.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time