The opening lyrics to Azealia Banks’ single “Chasing Time,” off her weeks-old album Broke With Expensive Taste, practically beg for a remix. “I want somebody who can take it apart,” she sings. “Stitch me back together, make me into who I wanna be.” It’s fitting, then, that the Harlem rapper-slash-singer is promoting her new album with a remix contest, offering $10,000 to the fan, producer, or dabbler whose version of “Chasing Time” she deems most worthy.
In conjunction with MTV, SoundCloud, and BitTorrent, Banks has made the song available to download for free. Users can then upload their remixed tracks to a Remix Lab on SoundCloud. The page already has a couple dozen remixes uploaded, some stripped down and others primed for the club. The range of sounds stemming from the same original canvas is already quite varied, and contestants will have to show a high level of originality to stand out from what will undoubtedly be a large field of entries.
The contest runs until Dec. 15, after which Banks will judge the entries herself and declare a winner.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate