The soundtrack to the forthcoming remake of Annie is out today, a month ahead of the movie’s holiday season premiere date. A blend of covers from the original 1977 Broadway musical and new tracks penned just for the remake, the soundtrack heavily features the film’s stars: Jamie Foxx, Quvenzhané Wallis, and Cameron Diaz. But Sia’s fingerprints are all over the album, too. The “Chandelier” singer co-wrote new arrangements, lent her voice to classics like “You’re Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile,” and paired up with Beck for this original tune, “Moonquake Lake.”
The upbeat track is more in the wheelhouse of pint-sized moviegoers than adult fans of either of its singers. In a melody fitting for a little heroine, it tells the fantastical tale of a fish-like girl who came from the moon, “ready to fight.” It’s got island vibes — plus, Sia makes what some may call a questionable decision, given frequent debates about cultural appropriation, to take on what sounds like a Caribbean accent.
Regardless, the track is likely to get Annie fans and newbies alike excited for the remake, which premieres on Dec. 19.
[spotify id=”spotify:track:5k6nO1xvzgfktS4Ay9iQrC” width=”300″ height=”380″ /]
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time