A recent speech by celebrated, off-beat actor Johnny Depp at the Hollywood Film Awards Friday had many wondering if his Oscar nominated turn as Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean may not have been pretend.
Depp stammered through what was supposed to be an introduction of talent manager Shep Gordon, the subject of Mike Myers’ new documentary, Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon. Gordon has worked for Blondie, Luther Vandross and Alice Cooper, among others.
The man who has played Hunter S. Thompson appears to swear good-naturedly several times. And while Mike Myers backstage called the speech “rock n’ roll,” Variety reports, Twitter users believed the actor was simply plastered.
“I mean, it’s one of those nights,” Depp says. Fair enough.
Here’s CBS video of the whole thing, curse words removed.
- Effective Altruism Promises to Do Good Better. These Women Say It Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- From Jan. 6 to Tyre Nichols, American Life Is Still Defined by Caste
- As People Return to Offices, It’s Back to Miserable for America’s Working Moms
- The Real Reason Florida Wants to Ban AP African-American Studies, According to an Architect of the Course
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year