A recent speech by celebrated, off-beat actor Johnny Depp at the Hollywood Film Awards Friday had many wondering if his Oscar nominated turn as Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean may not have been pretend.
Depp stammered through what was supposed to be an introduction of talent manager Shep Gordon, the subject of Mike Myers’ new documentary, Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon. Gordon has worked for Blondie, Luther Vandross and Alice Cooper, among others.
The man who has played Hunter S. Thompson appears to swear good-naturedly several times. And while Mike Myers backstage called the speech “rock n’ roll,” Variety reports, Twitter users believed the actor was simply plastered.
“I mean, it’s one of those nights,” Depp says. Fair enough.
Here’s CBS video of the whole thing, curse words removed.
- Introducing the TIME100 Climate List
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time