Back in 2009, Taylor Swift was already a star — hits like “Our Song” and “Love Story” had proved her power — but she wasn’t yet a global musical phenomenon. Rather, she was thoroughly country, just starting her first headlining tour and her fans had lots of unanswered questions.
That May, she sat down with TIME to answer some of them, dispensing advice for aspiring songwriters and dishing about the real-life inspirations for her songs (and, at one point, talking about how much she loves John Mayer, to whom she would later be romantically linked).
Watch that interview here.
Read TIME’s new cover story about the singer: The Power of Taylor Swift
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet The Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time