Taylor Smith wasn’t always the svelte, 5-foot-10 24-year-old she is today, and that’s part of her charm. We’ve watched her grow like fond parents who indulge in memories of of her early years, as a curly-haired newbie and a guitar-slinging warbler.
In 2002, when Swift was a wee 12-year-old, she sang the national anthem at a Detroit Pistons game in her home state of Pennsylvania. Though her singing does sound expectedly thin in a pubescent kind of way, she clearly had the makings of a great voice.
This is what Taylor Swift singing The Star-Spangled banner at age 12 sounds like.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time