Taylor Swift’s 1989 first-week sales weren’t enough to dethrone Eminem’s 2002 numbers, but Slim Shady has a bone to pick with a different diva.
In a new verse intended to drum up attention for the new Shady Records compilation Shady XV, Eminem raps about punching Lana Del Rey in the face and compares himself to Ray Rice, the Baltimore Ravens running back whose assault on then-fiancée Janay Rice was captured by elevator surveillance cameras and published by TMZ earlier this year.
The lyrics, per Billboard:
Lana Del Rey, who has said before that Eminem “changed her life” and taught her that “music could be intelligent,” has yet to respond to the rapper’s unfortunate name-drop. But Azealia Banks, who finally dropped her long-awaited debut Broke With Expensive Taste last week, has come to Lana’s defense: “Tell him to go back to his trailer park and eat his microwave hotpocket dinner,” she tweeted.
Needless to say, when Lana Del Rey begged for “all of that ultraviolence” this summer, she probably wasn’t talking about this.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time