Taylor Swift’s 1989 first-week sales weren’t enough to dethrone Eminem’s 2002 numbers, but Slim Shady has a bone to pick with a different diva.
In a new verse intended to drum up attention for the new Shady Records compilation Shady XV, Eminem raps about punching Lana Del Rey in the face and compares himself to Ray Rice, the Baltimore Ravens running back whose assault on then-fiancée Janay Rice was captured by elevator surveillance cameras and published by TMZ earlier this year.
The lyrics, per Billboard:
Lana Del Rey, who has said before that Eminem “changed her life” and taught her that “music could be intelligent,” has yet to respond to the rapper’s unfortunate name-drop. But Azealia Banks, who finally dropped her long-awaited debut Broke With Expensive Taste last week, has come to Lana’s defense: “Tell him to go back to his trailer park and eat his microwave hotpocket dinner,” she tweeted.
Needless to say, when Lana Del Rey begged for “all of that ultraviolence” this summer, she probably wasn’t talking about this.
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- Here Are All the Movies and TV Shows That Make Up the New DCU
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year
- Brazil Wants to Abandon a 34,000-Ton Ship at Sea. It Would be an Environmental Disaster
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in January 2023