On its Monday front page, right-of-center British newspaper The Daily Mail splashed out with a particularly pressing question: “Is There No One Left In Britain Who Can Make A Sandwich?”
The headline and subsequent story describes the challenges facing an Irish convenience food producer called Greencore Group, which supplies prepared sandwiches to the majority of Britain’s supermarkets. According to The Daily Mail, Greencore Group’s new factory in England hasn’t been able to recruit enough born-and-bred Brits to its staff and so they’ll be looking to hire hundreds of workers from eastern Europe. As the Mail has long been known to take issue with immigration policies in the U.K., the sputtering headline isn’t exactly a surprise.
The Mail‘s attempt to start a conversation about immigration instead turned into social media pile-on — with many taking to Twitter to jokily note the headline’s prescience, and sharing photos of their own botched attempts to make a decent sandwich:
- Governor Gretchen Whitmer on Her Fight for Abortion Access in Michigan
- Inside the War on Fake Consumer Reviews
- Column: Europe's Refugee Crisis Is Going to Get Worse
- How Lawmakers Are Trying to Protect Abortion Data Privacy
- The Surprising Thing That Could Help Ease Inflation
- Finding the American Dream in Canada
- The Safest Sunscreens to Buy—and Which Ingredients to Avoid
- Fact-Checking 8 Claims About Crypto’s Climate Impact
- How Grief Upsets Your Gut Health
- Who Could Replace Boris Johnson As U.K. Prime Minister?