The 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall was marked by the release of 8,000 helium balloons over the German capital.
The Berlin Wall was constructed in 1961 to prevent people fleeing the Soviet-controlled East into the more free and affluent West.
Its fall in 1989 was a symbolic start to the process that would eventually end the Cold War.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science