U.S. President Barack Obama is attempting to open fresh channels of communication with Iran concerning the war with ISIS.
A Pentagon official says the channels have become “necessary” as Tehran and Washington are now operating in the same areas, CNN reports.
Although the specifics of these discussions have not been revealed, an unnamed source told CNN that airspace management needed to be addressed so U.S. and Iranian operations wouldn’t conflict. The Iraqi military is apparently acting as a conduit.
This revelation comes after reports Obama sent a secret letter to Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatullah Khamenei last month.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow