U.S. President Barack Obama is attempting to open fresh channels of communication with Iran concerning the war with ISIS.
A Pentagon official says the channels have become “necessary” as Tehran and Washington are now operating in the same areas, CNN reports.
Although the specifics of these discussions have not been revealed, an unnamed source told CNN that airspace management needed to be addressed so U.S. and Iranian operations wouldn’t conflict. The Iraqi military is apparently acting as a conduit.
This revelation comes after reports Obama sent a secret letter to Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatullah Khamenei last month.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Helen Regan at email@example.com